Why apply for financing from Nefco?
Nefco provides financing for economically viable green projects with positive environmental or climate-related impact. We offer loans, equity-type financing and conditional loans to Nordic small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and midcap companies for green investments carried out on global markets.
Who can apply?
Nordic companies and investors that are developing green projects can apply.
Nefco finances projects initiated by companies and actors originating in one of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and/or Sweden), and which aim to establish operations in a target country outside the outside the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden).
Projects financed by Nefco shall have an identified Nordic partner that would serve as Nefco’s point of contact in the project.
Where and how?
- For Nordic small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and mid-cap companies for green projects carried out on global markets outside the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
- Loans and equity-type funding – up to EUR 5 million
- For Nordic small and medium-sized companies (SMEs) with commercialised green solutions that face challenges to realising international growth due to the economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Loans with fast-track approval procedures up to EUR 500,000
- For Nordic Small and Medium-sized EnterprisesSMEs to conduct feasibility studies and demonstration projects for internationalisation outside the EU/EEA
- Financial support through the Nordic Project Fund (Nopef), up to EUR 50,000
- For green projects in Eastern Europe, i.e. Armenia, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Russia and Ukraine.
- Shall involve a Nordic partner (from Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and/or Sweden).
- Loans and equity – up to EUR 5 million for investments
- Buyer credits – up to EUR 5 million for the delivery of environmentally sustainable products, machinery or services
Scope of project?
Small and medium-sized projects that have positive and relevant environmental impact in the country where the project is located as well as for the Nordic region. We always assess the technical feasibility and financial profitability of all projects. Typical projects may be:
- Investments in best available technology for industrial operations
- Modernisation of industrial production processes
- Raw material and resource savings
- Wastewater treatment and waste management
- Renewable energy: biomass, wind, solar, geothermal and small-scale hydro power projects.
- Production of equipment for pollution abatement
- Energy efficiency measures
- Environmental consultancies and services
- Nefco loan financing can be for up to 7 years
- Nefco normally exits from equity investments after 5-7 years
- Currency: EUR
- Amount: loans and equity up to EUR 5 million
- Nefco’s financing does not generally exceed 50 % of the total investment.
- Interest rates: market terms, fixed or floating rate interest on loans
How we work
As an international financial institution we have a range of policies and guidelines that will help you understand how we work both internally and with our partners and customers. Click here to read more about these >>
We welcome project proposals, aimed at generating positive environmental or climate-related results. Read here about our environmental criteria and guidelines >>
Projects should also contribute to the global sustainable development goals >>
How to apply
You can contact Nefco through our contact form beneath to determine if your project is eligible for Nefco funding. Please provide the name and contact details of your company, information about current business areas, name of the contact person, background, purpose and scope of the project, information regarding expected environmental benefits as well as possible Nordic participation and interest.
You can also contact our investment managers directly by email or telephone.