The Nordic countries are actively supporting a green recovery in Ukraine
Various means of humanitarian aid and rebuilding efforts have already been provided by the Nordic countries. Due to Nefco’s expertise and broad experience in financing green projects and working directly with Ukrainian cities and municipalities, financial support is also channelled through Nefco.
Contributions and their purpose so far:
- Denmark is supporting selected cities in their recovery activities with focus on infrastructure such as district heating, water supply and wastewater treatment.
- EUR 20 million grant funding so far from the Danida Sustainable Infrastructure Finance (DSIF) Programme. Since 2021, Nefco has managed grant funds for the Danish Danida Sustainable Infrastructure Finance (DSIF) Programme, financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Read more about DSIF.
- Presently, three projects are under implementation despite the ongoing war. The aim is to add new projects and swiftly build back better and greener during the coming years.
- Primary focus is on the repair, renovation and reconstruction of schools and day-care centres, housing, health services and other critical infrastructure, specifically taking into account the needs of people with disabilities.
- EUR 5 million grant funding so far for green reconstruction of municipal infrastructure.
- EUR 3 million in grant funding so far for green recovery actions.
- EUR 10 million in grant funding so far for green recovery actions.
Related news stories and articles
- 16 February 2023: Denmark is supporting critical heating infrastructure in Ukraine through Nefco
- 23 December 2022: Finland provides EUR 5 million for green reconstruction in Ukraine
- 11 November 2022: Green reconstruction in Ukraine: Collaboration, capacity building and transparency on all levels highlighted at Nefco’s Finance Day event at COP27
- 1 July 2022: Ukraine to be built back greener with new programme