Many of the projects financed by Nefco are at the forefront of technological innovation and aimed at testing the application of Nordic green solutions with scale-up potential in local, non-Nordic contexts.
In identifying the environmental benefits of a project, we primarily use the six environmental objectives established by the EU Taxonomy framework.
However, ‘green’ is not defined by the Taxonomy alone. For economic activities that are not yet covered by the EU Taxonomy, we use our own definitions based on the spirit and logic of the taxonomy.
- Download our fact sheet on the EU taxonomy
Example project areas:
- modernisation of industrial plants, e.g.
- measures to improve material efficiency by reducing the use of raw materials, metals, chemicals or water
- measures to substitute hazardous chemicals, mitigate the release of toxic pollutants or reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- upgrades to energy utilities
- energy-efficiency measures
- insulating buildings
- renewable energy
- wastewater treatment, particularly monitoring biological oxygen demand and discharges of phosphorus and nitrogen
- solid waste management
- renewal of agricultural practices and/or manure treatment
- metal industry and mining
- production of environmental equipment
- manufacturing of equipment for more efficient energy usage
- consulting and engineering services within the field of environment and energy