- Nefco intends to contract a qualified service provider(s): a consultancy firm, international organisation, service provider or engineering firm or a consortium of organisations with in-depth relevant experience in Project Countries (“Consultant”) to undertake the provision of:
(1) monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) services related to contracted Energy Service Providers’ (ESPs) performance under BGFA, results-based finance (RBF) agreements for their provision of sustainable off-grid services; and
(2) institutional technical assistance (TA) to local authorities and stakeholders to support ESPs’ project implementation through the development of business environment generally supportive of renewable off-grid services.
The purpose of the Assignment is:
(1) to support Nefco in generally monitoring ESPs’ project implementation progress and verifying that results forming basis for ESPs payments request have been meet; and
(2) to provide TA support to local Government institutions relevant for the off-grid space in each of the target countries, including but not limited to, market and pricing systems development; policy, licensing and regulatory framework development while working with a range of local and international stakeholders (including local donor Embassies and other relevant off-grid space donors) with the aim to generally improve market conditions through a combination of capacity building and TA (excluding ESPs who are offered targeted business TA provided by a separate service provider), stakeholder outreach and market intelligence.
It is expected that the number of projects to be monitored under this Assignment will be up to 30 with an individual contract size ranging from EUR 1 million to EUR 4 million. The Consultant will work alongside the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP), the current BGFA Implementation Manager. Further information on the BGFA is available at beyondthegrid.africa.
In order to meet the objectives of the Assignment, the Consultant shall undertake the following main activities/tasks:
For Component 1:
- General monitoring of ESPs’ implementation of BGFA funded projects ensuring progress in compliance with contracts signed between Nefco and the ESPs, including impact indicators and targets in line with the BGFA monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework such as people’s increased access to energy, number of jobs created, effects on women and girls and on youth and climate;
- Verifying that results/milestones forming basis for payment requests have been met; and
- Preparing annual status assessments, including review of financial reports.
For Component 2:
- Institutional support is envisioned to be modelled on, but tailored to local conditions, the Off-Grid Energy Task Force established in Zambia (under the pilot programme, Beyond the Grid Fund for Zambia (BGFZ)) to engage a range of local and international stakeholders to improve market conditions through a combination of capacity building and TA, stakeholder outreach and market intelligence development;
- Continued support to the Off-Grid Task Force in Zambia and establishment of an Off-Grid Energy Task Force or similar in each of the other project countries, which gathers stakeholders from the government, donor agencies, finance, and the private sector to coordinate activities, share challenges and opportunities, and agree on priorities for action to strengthen the enabling environment for the off-grid market;
- While foreseeing that the Task Forces or similar ad hoc can also provide hands-on capacity building and TA to institutions on demand, it may also as appropriate establish thematic working groups e.g., to clarify and improve import regulations for solar energy products and appliances designed for use with solar home systems, draft policies to regulate the construction and operation of mini-grids, in consultation with the private sector, clarify land rights regulations to de-risk investment in mini-grids etc.
Assignment start date and duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q2, 2022 and last for up to 60 months, depending on the country programmes.
Maximum budget available for the Assignments: Up to EUR 7 million, or up to EUR 1.4 million p.a. (exclusive of VAT) to be tentatively divided up to EUR 5 million for Component 1 and up to EUR 2 million for Component 2.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions on the nationality of the Consultant.
Clarifications: Please see the enquiries and clarifications (PDF) (updated 20.10.2021)
More information available in the beneath Invitation for Expression of interest document.